Saturday, July 26, 2014

CURIOUS INCIDENT Selfie from Megan W.


The set presented in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time captured the mind of the main character, Christopher Boone (Graham Butler). Laying the background out in neon four-dimensional shapes kept me enthralled throughout the play. The childlike props gave off the impression that the sixteen-year-old boy was a little different. Each piece of the set brought me into the world of an autistic boy named Christopher. 
The captivating layout of the set drew me into aspects of Christopher’s life. The squared stage design with neon-squared configurations on all sides, including the floor, revealed his thoughts as well as reeled me into his world. It was as if the stage was the autistic boy’s brain that I could read before my eyes. The bright neon color came across in two ways for me. It was representative of how Christopher viewed life, in a simple and bright way, as a child would. It also gave off the impression that he was a actually a bright and intelligent person, which was proven throughout the play; especially at the end when he solved a difficult math problem. The squared configuration demonstrated ways he thought as well. It gave off the impression that he was a perfectionist. The recurrent use of squares throughout the design also aligned with his repetitive actions in the play. The squared lines were symbolic of Christopher’s mathematic abilities as well. He would literally write out math solutions on the stage with chalk. The stage set up was used as a prop in itself as Christopher would draw on it throughout the play. His chalk drawings were vital in the play; so much so that they were cast onto the backdrop for everyone to see. Christopher’s unusually youthful side is revealed in his drawings; however, he writes in a sophisticated manner from time to time, demonstrating his intelligence in certain areas. His ability to use the chalk to capture and reveal his thoughts was powerful. Christopher’s drawings and many of the props used were of great importance for me as a viewer of the play. I realized their significance as the play went on. 
I can relate with Christopher’s character in many senses because I have a disorder as well: dyslexia. It does not affect my life daily or come across as drastic as his, but it has made me an outcast at times, especially when it comes to school. Reading was a challenge for me growing up, and others would notice that I was behind. I required special attention in my classes and had to go to tutoring multiple times a week in grade school. My difficulties I faced with reading were atypical for my age. Similarly, Christopher is not typical for his age. He may not have struggled with school as much, but he surely did socially and mentally. When it came to mathematics, he excelled; however, socially he was an outcast. His patience and communicating skills did not align with that of an average sixteen year old. This is evident when he hits a police officer and does not have the patience to wait for an old lady to make him tea. He could not speak with others for very long and liked to be alone. On the contrary, I am very sociable and enjoy others company. When it comes to interacting with others, I am much better than Christopher; however, I learned about myself in relation to Christopher. We are both unique people who have their strengths and weaknesses. 
The importance of family, especially with your parents, stood out to me as well in the play. I realized how dependent I am on my parents and how valuable family is in my life. Christopher’s parents made sacrifices for him just as mine has done for me. Even though his parents had marital issues, they ultimately wanted what was best for him. When Christopher’s mother moved out, she continued to reach out to him daily by writing to him. His father took care of him and was always there to get him out of trouble. By the end of the play they end up moving back together for Christopher’s good. Similarly, my parents want what is best for me. They have provided for me financially to get a good education. They accept my differences and would do anything for me. I realized how difficult parenting can be, especially when you have a child with a disorder like Christopher’s. My parents have had to overcome obstacles with me as well that were hard for me to understand as a child. My parents have had hardships in their marriage just as Christopher’s did. This play opened my eyes to all I have to be thankful for. I am so blessed to have two wonderful parents who have made sacrifices for my good!

No comments:

Post a Comment