Saturday, July 26, 2014

CURIOUS INCIDENT Selfie from Maddie K.


The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time directed by Marianne Elliot is a play that is from the view of a boy, Christopher, who has the Asperger’s syndrome. The play gives great insight into the mind of a person with a different metal mindset than my own. Despite this difference, I saw some similarities between Christopher and myself. For example, we both get distressed easily. A cultural idea that I saw throughout the play was that of heath and body, especially the internal and external effects of a person with autism-like symptoms. Christopher's experience with the outside world usually ended with him having an episode. He gets stressed in unfamiliar places and around strangers. He does not like to be touched by anyone, not even by his own family. The act of hugging can be comforting to some people during a stressful time, but it is not for Christopher. Numbers, machines, small spaces, and a lone time helps Christopher to calm down and be able to thinking clearly again. Throughout the play, the story is suggesting that the health of the mind and body is connected; even if a problem is in your mind, it can physically effect your body. This can be seen when Christopher is mentally stressing out, then his body goes into shock and he ends up on the ground in a huddle. One can see that as Christopher's mind starts to race, his body reacts by shutting down. The production showed this by having scattered and fast moving lights, mixed with stressful noises. In addition to these visual aid, the production used Christopher's staging to show his stress: he would usually walk around in disorder until he stopped and tried to become as small as possible. The stress and emotion that he is experiencing is projected onto the audience because of the use of lighting, wild noise, and how the actor playing Christopher acted during these times.  



Showing the view of the mind and body of an autistic-like person gave a unique and extreme view of the internal and external struggles of the human body. The struggles of a person with Asperger’s seemed to be similar to me, as a person with no autism like symptoms, but Christopher's are amplified and last for longer periods of time. I can be stressed and have panic attacks, but unlike Christopher I can calm myself down while he needs the comfort of facts.



The theatre featured a proscenium arch, so that the whole audience had one view of the stage; it was slightly rounded so each audience member had a slightly different view, but the angles did not allow the audience to see each other. Even though I couldn't see the rest of the audience, unless I directly turned to look at someone, I could hear their reactions to the play. Because I couldn't see the audience I would forget that others were in the room, but hearing the audiences reactions would bring me back to the real world. The production did a great job of drawing the audience into the play and making us feel like we were really there with Christopher. I am glad that others were in the audience, because I would get wrapped up in the stress that Christopher was going through; the people surrounding me reminded me that I was never alone.



Aesthetically the stage was set up like a cube with it open at one side, so it was like we were in the cube. The cube itself was strategically mapped out with symmetrical squares. This set up seemed to be the inside of Christopher's mind: organized to him, but confusing to the observers. The scenic design allowed for the audience to experience Christopher's internal struggles, and the acting showed his physical reactions to issues. The costumes were common everyday clothes: the characters could have been in London or in America. The normal style of the clothing showed that Christopher's struggle with Asperger’s syndrome was a common everyday norm. The set and costumes are a modern day set up which shows that Asperger’s is a modern day issue. The entire stage presence from the props used to the blocking showed the internal and external experiences that Christopher had with autism.



I have had times where I feel like I have completely lost control of a situation and shut down, similar to Christopher but not to the extreme. The play showed me that even with different issues people can have similar experiences or feelings. Even though Christopher showed the great suffering of his autism, he also showed that he could do great things with it. This sent the message that your issues are only as large as you let them become in your life. Christopher struggled to calm down at certain times, but he still managed to get the highest grade possible on his A level math exam. He taught me to not let my weaknesses get the better of me, but that true strength is succeeding despite your trials.


No comments:

Post a Comment